Sunday, February 24, 2013

Oscar Predictions 2012

Here they are! Will update post afterwards to reflect how close my predictions were.

PICTURE: Argo
DIRECTOR: Steven Spielberg, Lincoln Ang Lee, Life of Pi
ACTOR: Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
ACTRESS: Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
SUP. ACTOR: Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln Christoph Waltz, Django Unchained
SUP. ACTRESS: Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables
ORIG. SCREENPLAY: Amour  Django Unchained
ADAP. SCREENPLAY: Argo
ANIMATED FILM: Wreck-It Ralph Brave
FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM: Amour
PRODUCTION DESIGN: Lincoln
CINEMATOGRAPHY: Life of Pi
COSTUME DESIGN: Anna Karenina
EDITING: Argo
SCORE: Life of Pi
SONG: "Skyfall", Skyfall
MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING: Les Miserables
SOUND MIXING: Life of Pi Les Miserables
SOUND EDITING: Life of Pi Skyfall and Zero Dark Thirty (tie)
VISUAL EFFECTS: Life of Pi
DOCUMENTARY: Searching for Sugar Man
DOC- SHORT SUBJECT: Mondays at Racine Inocente
SHORT FILM- ANIMATED: Paperman
SHORT FILM- LIVE ACTION: Curfew

Life of Pi: 5 4 wins
Lincoln: four 2 wins
Argo: 3 wins
Amour: 2 1 wins
Les Miserables: 2 3 wins
Django Unchained: 2 wins
Skyfall: 2 wins

We'll see how I do. Last year, I got 16 out of 24 correct, okay, not great though.  I hope I can do better.  But it feels more uncertain this year. We will see.

17 out of 24.  Not that much better.  I would have loved Haneke winning Director, but Lee is a respectable choice.  My Amour love blinded me to Django Unchained rising.  One of the years where the most wins go to a film for its technical achievements (Life of Pi with 4 wins- winning Director, Cinematography, Score, Visual Effects) while another film slips by with Best Picture, but fewer wins (Argo with 3 wins- winning Picture, Screenplay, Editing).

Look for my more detailed reactions later this week.  And my top ten of 2012!

3 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Skelton said...

I can't just let you have all of those:
Best Picture: Argo
Best Director: Spielberg
Actor: Day-Lewis
Actress: Riva
Supp Actor: Jones
Supp Actress: Hathaway
Orig Screenplay: Haneke
Adapted: Kushner
Foreign Language Film: Amour
Our only difference is Best Actress, but that seems to be the only thing still somewhat up in the air. Sorry I couldn't diverge more.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Andrew Skelton said...

The only place I would see to diverge is Best Actress. The other categories seem like locks, so I'm going with Riva, for all the marbles, baby.

2:39 PM  
Blogger srh1son said...

We differ on Actress and Adapted Screenplay. You say Riva and Lincoln. I say Lawrence and Argo. So yeah, best out of nine categories. That would be great if Riva won (she's seen as a dark horse- spoiler), but against my economic interest. Supporting Actor is weird; Jones may win, but Waltz has done well too, and then De Niro has sentimental support. Director is a big question mark because Affleck won all the precursors, so with his snub most assume Spielberg will win here, but some have said Ang Lee or David O. Russell. A few crazys said Haneke could take it.

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home